Israel: It's more complicated than that

I’m on the shores of Kinneret (Sea of Galilee to Christians) for Israel’s version of FOO Camp. A great time so far, after visiting Haifa and the area. To Tel Aviv on Sunday to speak at the Marker’s internet conference for those of you who are in the area.

The title reflects what I was told is sort of a national catchphrase. This is indeed a complex country. The first thing you can’t avoid seeing is the massive amount of security. Going into ordinary buildings, even a shopping mall can be like going to the airport in many places. Like fish in water, however, many Israelis no longer notice it the way a visitor does. Scores of times a day you will see groups of IDF with submachineguns slung on their backs, as well as solo soldiers, as all Israelis do a tour in the army. And at the same time all I have seen has been tranquil and very friendly.

More observations upon my return, bit of blogging break until then.

Western Misconceptions

I have family in Israel and when I visited the thing I was most surprised by was how mixed the communities are. Most western news broadcasts paint a very segregated picture, but many Jews and Arabs live side-by-side as neighbours with not a single iota of hostility between them. I learned that most of the problems in Israel are created by 10% of the population while the other 90% try to live in peace. Sad reflection on society that so few people can screw it up for so many.

menexis's picture

Love Tel Aviv

I love that area, especially Tel Aviv. I agree with you that this place can be very friendly. When I visited in 2008, I did not get the impression of hostility at all, most of the soldiers are very friendly when you pass them on the street.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Post new comment

His name is Brad Templeton. You figure it out.
Please make up a name if you do not wish to give your real one.
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
Personal home pages only. Posts with biz home pages get deleted and search engines ignore all links
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options